In my usability class, I worked in a team on this project to provide the Dallas Public Library with an evaluation of their site from a usability and user experience perspective. We each conducted an interview of a user and synthesized our notes to make user personas. At this time, we also created a protocol which we sent to UserTesting.com. We conducted a heuristic evaluation of the website ourselves. We tested both the desktop version and the mobile version. We then evaluated the results from all of the tests and created findings and recommendations based on the evaluations.
Our scrum master (Sarah) made a project schedule in Google Docs as a timeline. The first week we made our team charter, listed out our goals, and set up the project by beginning to write the protocols and interview users.
The second week, we met and went over our interviews together creating a user persona. We sent out the protocols to user testing and conducted heuristic evaluations of the site ourselves.
The third week, we synthesized the results from the tests and the heuristic evaluations into findings and recommendations. We started writing the report and edited videos from the tests.
The fourth week, we edited and finalized the report. The project was due at the end of the fourth week.
As a team, we came up with interview questions to better understand the primary and secondary users of the Dallas Public Library. I interviewed a young mother who went to the Dallas Public Library to find books for her children and herself.
We also went over the Dallas Public Library's goals and website content to create a think aloud protocol. The protocol followed basic procedure encouraging the user to think aloud while completing certain tasks.
As a team, we synthesized the results from the interviews into user personas. We made personas for the primary and secondary users. After the project, I individually made user stories, empathy maps, and journey maps using the information gathered throughout the project.
Primary user persona
My main HE findings
We decided on a heuristic evaluation template to use. Each team member individually completed this heuristic evaluation. Four team members evaluated the desktop version and three evaluated the mobile version.
We each watched and took notes on the usability tests once they arrived. After reviewing the tests and conducting the heuristic evaluations, we met as a team and started synthesizing the results.
We made note of the data from the tests and evaluations and our findings. Using this data and what we had learned throughout the entire project, we created recommendations for our findings.
Our data (as we were going through)
During our last week, we edited the videos from the tests and finished writing our report.